Pages

Saturday, March 16, 2013

NO COUNTRY FOR OLD WOMEN

                                                               






                                  It's March now, and even though in my corner of Nova Scotia we were blessed with a little dusting of snow last night it won't last long.  The sun has some strength and there is that 'feeling' of spring.
                     
                        I have named our little hobby farm Windy River for a reason.  It borders the Salmon River and it is very very windy here.

                     The storm in early February that hit the eastern coast dropped a lot of snow in our yard.  The next day I couldn't get out of our driveway, but what really pissed me off was that I couldn't get out of the house.  The wind had drifted snow against both doors and I could only get them open a few inches before they would bind up against the snow bank.

                      I knew I would be rescued because the guy that plows our drive would show up eventually.   Eventually.   And he did.   He comes in to get paid, and if he wanted his money he would have to come  'in the door'   There's nothing that will get you rescued faster then someone who needs to get to your purse.   I can never get him on the phone and he doesn't have a cell, so that lamp was also a signal he knows about that I need some help.  A beacon... like a lighthouse.  Archaic I know but it works.

                    The wind blew and blew and the next day I was trapped again.  I didn't really worry because I had stocked my three favorite things that I use for survival  - wine, chocolate, and lots of organic chicken in our freezer.

                    It's hard to see in the photo but one of the books I'm reading is on the window sill. ' No Country For Old Men.

                    I'm thinking this is no country for old women.
                  

No comments:

Post a Comment